More NeoGeo Pocket Color classics are coming to the Nintendo Switch. If you’re a fan of SNK’s classic handheld games, it’s a wonderful time to be alive, because The King of Fighters R-2 and Samurai Shodown! 2 are coming to Nintendo Switch!
Remember SNK Gals’ Fighters? That classic fighting game that came out on the NeoGeo Pocket Color was chock-full of personality and had pretty good gameplay – well, gameplay that a handheld fighting game could achieve back in the early aughts – and it showed up on the Nintendo Switch.
And I dug it a lot, even though I’ve had very little exposure to SNK’s storied history, characters, and legendary stable of games. Now, SNK is releasing more of their classic handheld games from the Pocket Color so you can enjoy them on the Nintendo Switch!
King of Fighters R-2
If there was a game that rivaled Street Fighter back in the 90’s, it would be King of Fighters. There’s Mortal Kombat and Tekken, sure, but I digress. The series isn’t as prevalent as it was back in the heyday, but it doesn’t stop a stable of dedicated fans from keeping the dream alive. Now you can take one of the more underappreciated games in the series everywhere you go with the Nintendo Switch port of The King of Fighters R-2!
- King of Fighters R-2 features 23 fighters in total, including hidden characters!
- Since this is a NeoGeo Pocket Color port, you can see all these colorful characters the way they were meant to be displayed – in a sharper, more vivid definition.
- Making Mode lets you edit a fighter so you can customize them to your whims.
- Take on a friend in either Tabletop Mode or Handheld Mode.
Samurai Shodown! 2
Maybe the new Samurai Shodown isn’t your thing. I don’t know why you’d say no to a solid reboot of a fighting game classic, but you do you. Maybe you want something more classic. Something more… 16-bit.
Maybe the NeoGeo Pocket Color version of the old Samurai Shodown! 2 is more up your alley? You can get Haohmaru, Tachibana Ukyo, Nakoruru, and many other fan favorite characters on the go if you get this for the Nintendo Switch.
- Each character has two playstyles -slash and burst – so you can play with the style that works best for you.
- Completing certain requirements nets you special cards that can power up your characters!
- You can customize your characters as you attempt to take down the big baddie.
- Find out who has the true Samurai Spirit by taking on a friend in either Tabletop Mode or Handheld Mode
Though this game is now individually priced, it was originally released as a free pre-order bonus for SAMURAI SHODOWN on the Nintendo Switch. Be sure to check if you already have the game before purchasing.
Get Samurai Shodown! 2 today on the Nintendo Switch eShop for only $7.99!